Wednesday 9 February 2011

In The Beginning

I'm not much of a writer. I spend most of my time trying not to write. I have a severe learning disability that makes it difficult for me to construct sentences. But recently, I've decided to just put my thoughts out there - in hopes that I might make sense of things.

For the last 9 years of my life I've been a pastor. My church is located in Tucson, and we go by the name - The Village. Being a pastor is an odd job to have because there isn't an "off button" - especially at the Village. Our community is just that, a community. We spend a lot of time together, and people are in and out of each others homes. Early on this was tiring because my house was the main hub for most activities. But things have changed over the years, and we have seen others open their homes and move into neighborhoods together to minister to their friends.

At present, our community is exploring the Gospel as a way of life. With help from people like Tim Keller, churches like Marshill and Soma, and books by Larry Crabb - we wrote a bible study that explores what we call the Three aspects of the Gospel: Story, Identity, Kingdom. Jesus' story being his birth, death, resurrection, and ascension. The Identity being what is given to us as a result of the story, and the Kingdom part is our response to the Story and the Identity given to us - see Romans 12:1.

No comments: